It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini | Teen Ink

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

November 29, 2017
By MegAshley BRONZE, North Platte, Nebraska
MegAshley BRONZE, North Platte, Nebraska
4 articles 5 photos 1 comment

A book that truly handled a delicate topic in a very humorous, yet sensitive way. That is something I can honestly say about “It’s Kind of a Funny Story” by Ned Vizzini. As someone who has struggled with mental illness and has been hospitalized for a suicide attempt, I can say that this book handles the touchy subject well, but also kept the perspective, environmental details, and facts extremely accurate. In my opinion, the book was not at all triggering or negatively portraying mental illness. I felt like I could really relate to Craig, the main character, along with his story and struggles. As I read about his experience, I could vividly imagine his surroundings, the characters, and the emotions that were being described. The story was carried very well, at no point did I feel confused or like I had missed something. The book was overall easy to understand and truly relatable. It was a book I didn’t want to put down, but was disappointed to reach the end of, because I just wanted more. I highly recommend this book if you have struggled with or are currently struggling with depression or suicidal thoughts, but also if you would just like an interesting read. After reading this book, I plan on reading more by this author and recommending his books to my fellow bookworm friends. I may have finished reading this book, but I really believe it left a mark on me. This fictional story really shows how real mental illness is. I’m so glad I was told about this humorous, yet emotional story. Meet Craig and see the world from his perspective with “It’s Kind of a Funny Story.”


The author's comments:

I absolutely adored this book. I couldn't wait to share my opinion about the truly amazing story.