Angels and Demons | Teen Ink

Angels and Demons

By Daniel Schaefer BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio
Daniel Schaefer BRONZE, Canfield, Ohio

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown is a fictional novel that keeps the reader guessing and entertained throughout its pages. This story is not, however, just a quick read. It can seem like a book that is impossible to put down, make sure that one has time to commit to this novel. Dan Brown keeps his readers entranced in his tale not just through a driving storyline, but well developed characters, setting, and combines these with a unique and entertaining storyline.

The story of Angels and Demons is a tale of adventure and mystery featuring the characters Robert Langdon and Vittoria Vetra. Langdon and Vetra journey through the streets of Rome discovering ancient secrets and trying to stop a crazed murder working for the age old organization called the Illuminati. This antireligious cult has not only committed a string of murders, but also placed a futuristic bomb somewhere threatening the lives of all millions. A captivating tale of Langdon and Vetra's race against time not just to find the deadliest weapon ever created, but to save the entire catholic church.

Readers nowadays often are looking for a driving storyline that can hold their interest throughout; this novel has a storyline that is tantalizing and makes the book almost impossible to put down. Brown keeps the reader guessing throughout the entire novel and creates a line of events that is so deep and thorough that the reader cannot help but to be sucked into his story. It is written in a way that perspectives are switched from character to character in such a manner that little by little the reader gains more knowledge but not enough to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Descriptive language is used to describe his characters and paint a very clear mental picture in the head of the reader. Brown does a phenomenal job of leading his readers to loath the villain and sympathize with the protagonist. He does not, however, paint in black and white which characters are good and evil. He uses an excellent writing style to control how the reader feels towards a specific character; he uses his writing to change the readers mind about one character in one instant and the change it again in the next. The language is also used to paint a vivid picture in the reader's mind about scenes going on as well; in particular he describes the scenes very well when Langdon and Vetra are faced with the opportunity to save Cardinals.

The majority of the story takes place in the city of Rome. As Brown weaves his tale through all the parts of Rome he uses great detail not just to give the reader a better image of what is happening, but also uses many details of the setting and reveals how they are relevant to the story. The placement of his events throughout the book does not just fit well into the story, but also has clues hidden for not just the readers, but the characters to discover as well.

Dan Brown possesses the perfect writing style to write this novel in the most effective and entertaining way for the reader to experience it. His style of writing combines detailed description of the events and location with a certain mystery that keeps the reader entranced trying to find out what is going to happen next. Brown also writes in a manner from which he constantly switches the perspective from which the reader is reading the story. By doing this he allows the reader to learn what other characters are doing at different times; this makes the reader more in tune with what is going on in the story, but at the same time keeps them guessing.

For those readers who enjoy a nonstop thriller Angels and Demons is a must. The combination of the characters, setting, driving storyline, and writing style creates a tale that is a fantastic read for fiction lovers everywhere. Reading this story is time well spent for readers of any kind.