Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson

By rc123 BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
rc123 BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Chains is an inspirational, heart-wrenching novel about the importance of being brave and strong. Chains is a historical fiction novel written by award winner, Laurie Halse Anderson. In this book we follow 13 year old Isabel through her journey of finding freedom from slavery. During the American Revolution, Isabel and her little sister Ruth are purchased by a rich, cruel, heartless, loyalist family. Horrible things start happening to Isabel, and she realizes the only way to escape is to betray her owners, and become a spy for the patriots. Isabel encounters many obstacles as she fights for her freedom.

Anderson did exceptional work developing the characters, teaching the audience valuable lessons, and keeping the audience intrigued with interesting events. I loved this book because the author made me care about the characters. I couldn’t put the book down, because I needed to know the fate of the characters. The book also taught me important lessons. The book taught me to be brave, fierce, and strong like the main character Isabel. This book put me on a rollercoaster of emotions from one event to the next. This novel made me feel sorrow, heartbreak, and hope.  I would recommend this book to Americans and Europeans because they would understand the Revolutionary War. People of any age, gender, or race, could enjoy this book.