Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

By kelley.burke BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
kelley.burke BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Speak, a realistic fiction novel by Laurie Anderson will leave you feeling a whole different way then when you started. It is 2004, and it takes place at a party in the beginning of the summer right before Melinda's freshman year of school. The main character, Melinda Sordino faces a rough school year after calling the cops at a party. No one knew what the real incident that happened at the party was,so they hated her. She had a good reason for calling but now her friends hate her. Melinda is a quiet person who struggles to make friends. Andy Evan, a boy who means trouble, met Melinda at the party. Melinda faces a tough school year after she goes to the party. Her ex-friend Rachel doesn’t believe her, but by the end of the story, they resolve the problem. Melinda is very secretive from her family, and her family is a mess.  What she does will surprise you, the book it is interesting and will keep your attention I would highly recommend it. 

The theme of this book treats everyone nicely because you never know what they have been through, which you will learn as you continue to read the book. This book has easier syntax but more mature content, and there are some parts that could be sensitive to some people. In all the book is a good read with a good meaning. The author used her writing to help readers understand what the characters were going through because she describes everything in great detail. Her writing also helps the readers connect; although not many people may relate to everything she goes through.