Book Thief by Marcus Zusak | Teen Ink

Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

By Calbavineau BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Calbavineau BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

The author Markus Zusak wrote the Book Thief fairly well. Markus has won the Kathleen Mitchell award, Indies choice book award and National Jewish book award.

Liesel Meminger is waiting in the bomb shelter. She is used to this by now this is just a monthly occurrence for her. The Book Thief a historical fiction book by Markus Zusak. This book takes place in Molching, German. Liesel is a girl from Germany, who is going through many problems. Her brother has died ,and she also was taken from her mom because she couldn’t provide for her. Liesel then went into foster care and was then adopted. Liesel doesn’t know how to read and her parents don’t have any books for her to read. Her papa teaches her how to read ,and reads with her every night he can. For Liesel to read she has to steal books from different stores. Papa is Liesel’s step-father who cares and loves her very much.  During the time she is in Germany World War 2 is occurring ,and bombs are going off frequently. A boy named Max stay at her house hiding from the German army because he is a Jew. Max is one of papa’s friends son. He has to hide from the Nazis and stay out of sight.

Markus wrote the rising action to include a bunch of little details needed to understand the climax. I think he dragged on the book ,and the story could’ve been told in fewer pages. The Book Thief wasn’t very action packed. Overall, the book was very good and had me emotionally connected to the characters because I felt bad about how they were treated. I think this book will be best for young adults or kids from ages 12+ because there is some cussing and it is a complex book.