Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman | Teen Ink

Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman

By NealShustermanJr. BRONZE, Dexter, MI 48130, Michigan
NealShustermanJr. BRONZE, Dexter, MI 48130, Michigan

Over the past few weeks I have been reading a fantastic book that I struggled to put down. A book that was written beautifully. A book that you and everyone should read. That book is Challenger Deep, by Neal Shusterman. This sci-fi takes place in the near future and is about a 15-year-old boy who struggles with a mental disorder that causes him to have delusions. As his mental illness starts to take over he cannot focus on anything and is slowly losing his grip on reality. Because of his mental illness, he now living in two worlds even though one is just in his head, and in that world is a captain. A captain that wants to explore the deepest part of the ocean: Challenger Deep. Will his mental illness be cured or will it stick with him forever?

I thought Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman was a fantastic book, probably one of my favorite books ever. He uses connections, thoughts, and even poetry in his writings that will always have you reading for more. Because the main character has a mental illness and believes he is living two different lives, there are two settings going on in the book at once which always keeps you thinking of what’s going on and where he is. I love how he made the made up world very creative, unique, and weird. It’s a made up world so he could do whatever he wanted with it and that’s exactly what he did with it. I really think if you haven't read Challenger Deep yet that you should pick up the book and read it. You will not regret it because it is a incredible book written by an incredible writer.