Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

By Acadia BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Acadia BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

She has survived the arena but the game isn’t over. Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins, is a fictional book about a young girl named Katniss Everdeen, who has played through and survived an event called the Hunger Games. Katniss won the games alongside Peeta Mellark. Katniss and Peeta are two out of the three champions in District 12. This year in the Districts it is the 75th annual Hunger Games, so there will be a twist because it is what’s called a Quarter Quell.  This year the arena is special. The arena is on an island and this year the capitol is mad. Since last year, Katniss and Peeta both survived the arena, because they were either both going to die or both going to live. The capitol couldn’t afford both dying so they let both live. But they now want revenge, anyone in the arena was going to have a difficult time surviving, even more difficult time than usual. The obvious theme of this book is survival, Katniss needs to find a way to survive the anger of the capitol.

This book was so good! Catching Fire was my favorite out of the three Hunger Games books. Katniss tells her story through her own thoughts and actions, in 1st person. But even though the only thought you could really hear were Katniss’, I really felt like I knew what the other main characters were thinking and feeling throughout the book. I love books when they are so detailed and I really understand what is going on. I felt like I really got the messages the author was trying to put in the story and the plot of the book. One thing I really like that Collins did in her book was at the end of each chapter, the last sentence would be either a cliffhanger or shocker. You would either need to keep reading no matter what time it was or try and keep your head straight because your mind was just blown. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone willing to read. I don’t really like books that are fiction/sci fi but this book was one of the best books I’ve read in a long time.