Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson | Teen Ink

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

November 17, 2017
By hannnahfb BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
hannnahfb BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Steelheart, by Brandon Sanderson, is a charming tale about finding oneself. Just kidding, this is a quick paced sci-fi novel about a young man, David, who battles with revenge and grief in the midst of destruction. The title, Steelheart, is also the name of the book’s villain who, in a world of superhumans called epics, is one of the most powerful and feared of all in the United States. He rules over the city of Newcago, a futuristic version of Chicago, which is one of the only cities left with electricity, running water, and a sewer system. At the beginning of the book, Steelheart is an epic everyone looks up to, someone who protects the people of the city. That is until one day when he murders a group of innocent people, including David’s dad, and as the book goes on, Steelheart becomes cruel and vicious. Since that day many years ago, David has been looking for a chance to avenge his father.

Brandon Sanderson is an incredible author, with cliffhangers at the end of each chapter to keep you wanting more. He has such detailed explanations and powerful word choices that continue to add to the story. The title of the book also seems to have a double meaning, not only is it the villain’s name, but it could also be a metaphor for David, going from cold hearted and revenge driven to passionate and loving throughout the book. This book is a great read for someone ages 9-16 looking for an intriguing sci-fi novel.