Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick | Teen Ink

Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick

By cam.bush BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
cam.bush BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie is a realistic fiction by Jordan Sonnenblick. It is about a boy named Steven who loves to play the drums. The plot is when Steven starts his 8th grade, his little brother Jeffrey is diagnosed with Leukemia. It is a struggle to focus in school and do daily things when Steven is thinking about his little brother in Philadelphia at a cancer hospital. With school, girls, and music on Steven’s mind, he will have to sacrifice a lot for Jeffery.

My opinion of Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie isn’t so great. Jordan Sonnenblick expressed Steven’s feelings in the book well, but I would have liked the book more if it was in the 3rd person. It was an okay book overall, but there wasn’t any cliffhanger points in the book that made me want to keep reading. Also, the mood in the book pretty much stays the same throughout the whole story. However, I did enjoy the end of the book and how Sonnenblick wrapped it up. I’m hoping in the next book that Jordan Sonnenblick starts off the book when Steven is older. I would recommend this book to people who like sad books or realistic fiction books.