Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith | Teen Ink

Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith

By EWood BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
EWood BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith, is a historical fiction novel set in the late 1800s, near the end of the Civil War. This book tells the story of a boy named Jeff, who wants to be a soldier. In the story, Jeff and his platoon go from state to state fighting the rebels during the Civil War. Jeff is part of the Union, who is fighting against the rebels. Jeff is driven to join the Union after his family's home is ransacked by the rebels.  During this war he meets new friends, and enemies while fighting the bloodiest battle ever fought on U.S soil.

Harold Keith did an amazing job of pacing this novel. Somehow, the book could be talking about Jeff and his platoon walking through a creek and a side story between characters could keep me interested. The main character was also relatable so you could agree with his actions. The action scenes in this book were spectacular. The scenes were so descriptive that I could visualize every moment of the battle. I would recommend this book to anyone that's over 10 years old, since the book can get a little gory. Overall this is a great book for anyone who loves history, or just wants to read a good book.