Inkheart by Cornelia Funke | Teen Ink

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke

‘A modern day story, with a surprising twist’ is not the only term you would use to describe the fascinating tale, Inkheart. Not only does it keep reader’s attention, but it also captivates their hearts. Inkheart is a fantasy novel written by Cornelia Funke, who has won two awards, has written several children's books, also several fantasy novels. Inkheart takes place in modern day, where there is a headstrong girl named Meggie, and protective father named Moe. Meggie finds out that Moe has the power to bring what he reads aloud alive. During one unfortunate incident, he accidentally brings a fearsome villain named Capricorn into this world. Now Meggie and Moe must put him back in his book before it is too late.

Funke’s descriptive style of writing and an interesting take on third-person point-of-view drew me into reading the book. It is a long read but worth your time. At first, I found the beginning dragged out, but the more I read the book, the more captivated I became. I could instantly relate to the main characters which made the book more interesting for me. I would highly recommend the book to anyone who is a fan of reading or is in the mood for an adventure. “If you take a book with you on a journey,...,  an odd thing happens: The book begins collecting your memories. And forever after you have only to open that book to be back where you first read it.”