Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury | Teen Ink

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

November 17, 2017
By TheInsightfulGrizzlyBear BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
TheInsightfulGrizzlyBear BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Through Fahrenheit 451, author Ray Bradbury exploits the flaws of hedonism. This science fiction novel takes place in a dystopian future, where all books are banned. Firemen have the jobs of burning down houses that are discovered to have books in them. Society detests books, as they bring conflicting ideas and unconformity. Most people watch TV and don’t care at all about the serious problems in the world, and their only goal is to maximize their own pleasure. The main character is fireman Guy Montag, who slowly becomes increasingly curious about books, and eventually starts sneaking some home. This causes intense conflicts with his wife, friends, the government, and fellow firemen.

This is a fascinating novel that offers political and social observations. The characters are mysterious, unpredictable, and impossible not to love. Bradbury successfully recognizes the importance of knowledge over ignorance. This book is appallingly relevant in today’s society. People are attached to technology and books are becoming increasingly more irrelevant. Many people would rather forget about all their problems rather than be educated and contribute to serious issues. Not only is this book fascinating, exciting, and intense, it is also one of the most insightful and enlightening books I have ever read. I would recommend this book to anyone with a mature mind.