Unwind by Neal Shusterman | Teen Ink

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

By sydney.pnacek BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
sydney.pnacek BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Unwind, by Neal Shusterman, is a story of survival and bravery. This young adult fiction novel is about three main characters: Connor, Risa, and Lev. These teens are ‘AWOL Unwinds’ who have escaped from going to harvest camp. Unwinding is a procedure where a person, usually teenager, has every part of their body taken out and transplanted into bodies that need those parts. ‘Harvest Camp’ is where the procedure takes place. Connor, Risa, and Lev have two encounters with the police without getting caught. The teens move from safe house to safe house until reaching ‘The Graveyard’ where they will stay until they’re 18… or do they?

Unwind was written in 3rd person limited point-of-view, which was one aspect I really enjoyed about it. Each paragraph being from a different character’s point-of-view, lured me in to continue reading. The plot of the story makes you think you’ve got it all figured out, then Shusterman throws a curveball that is completely unexpected, forcing you to change your predictions quite a bit. At parts, it lulls in excitement, but it picks right back up soon enough and keeps your attention throughout the entire book. This book brings all kinds of emotions into play, another aspect that makes Unwind an outstanding read, though, it has graphic, descriptive content at parts. Read Unwind to find out, then continue on to the next five in the series! Or read Challenger Deep, by Neal Shusterman, which got the National Book Award for Young People’s Literature.