Unwind by Neal Shusterman | Teen Ink

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

November 22, 2017
By JillianEggleston BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
JillianEggleston BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The science fiction book Unwind by Neal Shusterman is attention grabbing. The book is constantly moving forward, and there are so many crazy appealing events that keep you attached to the book. The book takes place in the future after the second U.S. Civil War called the Heartland War. As a result of the war is the Bill of Life, where parents can sign an agreement saying that their kids will be unwound before 18. These kids that are known as Unwinds, go to a harvest camp where they undergo a surgery. Parts of their body are salvaged and transplanted to others that need new or better ones.

 

To avoid being unwound you have to stay alive until you’re 18. Many kids run away to escape the horrible agreement. Connor, Risa, and Lev are three runaway unwinds that try to fight the system of unwinding. Together they face many challenges to not go to harvest camps. The three teens kept fighting for their lives, and they discover and achieve many things.


The book was filled with many different events that made me want to continue reading the book. Unwind showed many different perspectives from the characters, which made it entertaining to read. Neal Shusterman did a fantastic job showing different points of the stories and connecting them. At the beginning it was confusing with all the different characters in other events at the same time, but they quickly meet and the stories become one big fascinating book. Seeing what multiple characters are thinking during the same event helps you understand the book well, and it makes it more interesting to read. The book Unwind was interesting at all times, and I would definitely recommend it to other teens especially between the ages of 13 and 18.



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.