Sunrise over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers | Teen Ink

Sunrise over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers

By CryptidAddict BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
CryptidAddict BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Quotes aren't needed.

The Iraq war was a brutal fight. It lasted 8.8 years, and with many casualties. Have you ever wondered what a soldier went through in times like these? Well, Sunrise over Fallujah tells the story of a soldier who went through exactly that, Birdy. Sunrise over Fallujah is written by Walter Dean Myers. Myers has also written other novels, some of which include: Monster, Fallen Angels, Bad Boy, and Autobiography of my Dead Brother. He has won plenty of awards: The John Newbery, Michael L. Printz, Margaret Edwards, Coretta Scott King, 2 Golden Kite awards, Anne V. Zarrow, and Jane Addams. The genre of the book is realistic fiction. In the book, Robin is the main character. He meets his platoon members who also become main characters. They include: Marla, Jonesy, Captain Miller, Victor, and Captain Coles. Their task is to travel throughout Iraq doing various missions assigned to them. This changes all the characters after having to go through the experiences that they went through. This all makes for an emotional rollercoaster, and you’re strapped in for the ride!

I personally didn’t like the book all that much. There was too much filler, and it could’ve ended about 100 pages sooner. It had parts where it was an amazing book. However, other parts felt like the book was just about people talking about something that had nothing to do with the plot. This can really scare away some readers, and at times, I wanted to just walk away. It became tedious and rather annoying. I would recommend the book to people who are very interested in war stories. Otherwise, you might want to just skip this one.