Wonder by Raquel J. Palacio | Teen Ink

Wonder by Raquel J. Palacio

By Nicoletta BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Nicoletta BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

The book Wonder, by Raquel J. Palacio, opens up a new world of being different and accepting others. It takes its readers on an emotional roller coaster following the life of a boy named August Pullman, his family, and friends. August is not like every kid that you will meet. He was born with a facial deformity that has been preventing him with doing the fun things that kids do at his age. All of his life, he has been closed into his own bubble  “literally.” August would not want to be seen as what he looked liked, so he would wear a helmet all of the time thinking that others wouldn’t want to see his face or even talk to him. Under his helmet he is a funny, brave, and courageous boy. He just didn’t know that yet. Eventually, August finds that he is normal on the inside but he doesn’t believe that he is normal on the outside. His parents, Nate and Isabel Pullman, convince August that maybe it wouldn’t hurt trying to go to school for the first time. They take August to tour his school that he would be going to. August faces many new things that he never expected when going to school. He experienced bullies, true friends, being different isn’t so bad, and that his sister Olivia will always have his back.

Wonder was an amazing book. It had me laughing, crying, and wanting to read it a million more times. One of my favorite things that R.J Palacio did in the book was that different chapters were from different characters points-of-view. It really helped me learn about all of the characters and eventually I really cared about the characters. The way Palacio wrote was amazing and now wonder is definitely one of my favorite books. I would recommend this book for anyone. For me, I felt like it would be more of a young adult book for understanding the personalities of the characters. Wonder is truly an amazing book that shows you so many different things about people.