Anthem by Ayn Rand | Teen Ink

Anthem by Ayn Rand

If you're interested in happy stories where everything is predictable and the same as the rest, Anthem isn't the book for you. However, if you’re ready for something that’s different and still enjoyable, then buy yourself a copy of Anthem. The book is a science fiction that was written by Ayn Rand in 1937 and published a year later. It's based on a dystopian society where everyone is equal in England sometime in the future. The book is a great one that leaves you ready for more and is worth picking up if you're interested in a good story that won't fail to impress.

Anthem is good story because it really captures the idea of loving your neighbor and your community. Equality 7-2521 is the strong and intelligent protagonist of the story and his female partner/secondary protagonist, The Golden One, shares the same qualities. When Equality discovers something that could really help his people, his ideas aren't accepted by those that rule the country. He then has to work with The Golden One alone. Their plan is to free the people of their country and better everyone within it. The message hidden in the story is what's known as patriotism.

What makes this such a good thing is that it relates to our everyday lives. The majority want to better their country which is why we have presidents, mayors, laws, etc. An example of this in the story is The Golden One backs up Equality in his quest to improve their country knowing the risks. This is why I say that this book emphasizing patriotism really makes it a good choice as most of us can relate to its message. If you're especially interested in patriotism, this book is targeted at you and could be of great importance in your life.

83111 EF 5th Pd. 15922