The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros | Teen Ink

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

By chiaseed BRONZE, Van Nuys, California
chiaseed BRONZE, Van Nuys, California

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros is a book that everyone should read. I think everyone should read it because it is filled with short but interesting stories about a young girl’s life.

The book is about a young girl named Esperanza who lives in a house on mango street. She is just a Latina girl growing up in Chicago. The book is told In vignettes. Some could be happy and some could be sad. She wants to be a writer when she gets a little older.” I like to tell stories. I’m going to tell you a story about a girl who didn’t want to belong.” I’m guessing her age is 9 or 10. She also knew a few people. One girl was named Sally. She didn’t do very good In school and her parents I’m guessing hit her because she was very bad.

I really enjoyed this book. I like the vignettes because they’re short but interesting stories. At first, I didn’t know what a vignette was until I read this story. I also like how its written out because Its very simple but very informative about the story. The author probably wrote this to relate to some people who probably lived the same life as Esperanza or relate to a different character. Or maybe the author lived this life.

Anyways, I really like the book overall mostly because of the vignettes and the characters are interesting to me. I think people should read this to try to guess how life for some people was.

Just a review on a book i recently reviewed.