I Was Here by Gayle Forman | Teen Ink

I Was Here by Gayle Forman

By Marthaa.Gomez BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
Marthaa.Gomez BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

Gayle Forman the author of I Was Here did a great job in the word usage and description for the character’s feelings. I was able to get to know how Cody felt when Meg (her best friend ) died, and how Ben ( Meg’s crush) felt  , and how they felt according to the situations from the book. The author needed to work on the main points more because at times Gayle would add too many details. Some details were unnecessary and would be misleading from the point. The characterization was very strong, and I was able to know and understand the character’s personality and connect with them through the way the author described their emotions. It was like if I could feel what the characters were feeling. ‘“Your better half. And you’re trying to redeem yourself, because she left you out of the decision”’ is a frustrating quote for me because I can see how much Meg meant to Cody and she didn’t get a say in Meg’s decision to kill herself  (Forman 237). It’s frustrating that now Cody and Meg’s family are left to suffer.I would recommend this book to someone who has lost someone very special to them because Cody lost Meg which was her best friend, and this book mentions how she deals with the grief. One of my favorite quote is ‘“ it’s like she was my sun and my sun went out”’because I deeply connected with this quote and felt like I was able to feel exactly what Cody was feeling, the grieve in her lost (Forman 31). I would recommend this book to romance lovers because something happens between Cody and Meg that romance lovers will really enjoy.