Cinder by Marissa Meyer | Teen Ink

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

By Melissasifue BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
Melissasifue BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

Another cinderella story indeed but with its own unexpected twist. Cinder, a book about tragedy, romance, and specific focal points that will have you on the edge of your seat. A very touching book about a girl against the world, a girl who feels like everyone is against her until she meets the prince. Not just a regular girl but a cyborg girl who didn’t ask to be that way. This book is a young adult fiction that has a twist on fairy tales which is why I recommend it to teenagers. 

This book really captivates what many teenagers and even young adults face against the world.

“Do your kind even know what love is? Can you feel anything at all, or is it just . . . programmed?” (Meyer 63). This quote has a very powerful meaning to me because of the connection it makes to the world. It shows the reality us teenagers face especially because most of the time we don’t feel accepted. This point really comes across in the book through Cinder, the main character, because it shows how her uniqueness differentiates her from the rest. I think that’s why many teenagers will feel a strong connection towards Cinder because they will feel understood. This book has other focal points as well like loving someone for what’s in the inside and not the outside. “She was not looking at a girl in the mirror she was looking at a machine” (Meyer 78). Is another quote which also ties into what I was trying to get across about not judging so much and instead loving. These focal point were what made me really fall in love with the book, something about the book that I hadn't read before. Even though the book was great I did have one flaw towards it. Cinder is a very complex book in the way that the wording is done. You really have to understand what you are reading about to comprehend the book. Even though the wording is complex and confusing I still stand by my reasoning of recommending it to teenagers. My reasoning like I have stated before was that teenagers will have the most connection towards Cinder which is why the book will make sense to them.