Beautiful Redemption (Beautiful Creatures #4) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl | Teen Ink

Beautiful Redemption (Beautiful Creatures #4) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia

"So many books, so little time"

Ethan was the Wayward, his duty was the guide others to the right path in the Caster World. A mortal, he had no powers himself besides the feeling of guidance he could give, and Kelting with his girlfriend Lena. Lena was not only a caster, but a Natural and a Cataclyst. Not choosing sides, Lena is half-light, half-dark, a process that broke the order. With the order broken it was literally hell on earth, and with Sarafine and Abraham seeking Lena out, Gatlin was in for one terrible ride. Ethan found out how to restore the order: a scarified of the One who is a Two. After John threw himself off the water tower, after declaring his love for Liv, he woke up as his sacrifice was not taken. Ethan knew what he had to do, as he stood on the water tower, seeing Amma fighting Macon to save himself, and Lena crying, he jumped, restoring the order, by sacrificing himself.

Ethan woke up in his room, but something was different. He was in the Other World, along with his mother, Aunt Prue and all the other souls that have unfinished business. Emerging from his house he finds that instead of front doors there was tombstones, and seeing the absence of a front door, Ethan knew that he made a mistake. What his mother was not willing to tell him, but Aunt Prue was, Aunt Prue told Ethan that he was never meant to die, the deal he made was a mistake, that someone added a page the Caster Chronicles that was not supposed to be there. That page told the only way to restore the order was by Ethan’s death. His quest was to go to the Far Side and rip his page out, in doing so it would bring him back to the moment on the water tower before he jumped, but keeping the order restore. Communicating with the other side, Ethan relays on Link and Lena to help him out, and to bring him back home.

For being the last book in the series it went out with a whimper instead of a bang. Both Garcia and Stohl had their readers by the throats, ending the last novel with Ethan killing himself to restore the order. With such hype going into this novel, it was really kind of a letdown. Sure, it had its own quest, and final battle, love, and relationships stabilizing. Ethan and Lena love is so strong that he is willing to give up the Other World and his mother just to be with her. Both authors did not dive deep into the Amma and Macon fight, which is understandable as they are both too mature to swing fists (although it would have been great fun reading about Amma taking Macon down from his high horse). The character development was nonexistent, although this proves Lena actually likes Ethan as now she is the one risking her life to save him (instead of the other way around like the last three books). The story was just uneventful, with actual events far and few between, and for what was supposed to be the end of a series, it was tedious. If reading this far into the series, well then might as well finish it, as for reading the series overall? Not worth it. At best it is an okay story, and this book proving it with it is okay ending. Garcia and Stohl fill it so much with useless knowledge, but keeps the story at a steady pace, but each book (of the four) is about five hundred pages, which is a lot for no reason. Where this story may be called Beautiful Redemption, its beauty is in question, but this story did not redeem the series.

Was not worth it