Breaking Dawn (Twilight #4) by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

Breaking Dawn (Twilight #4) by Stephenie Meyer

June 27, 2017
By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
293 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"So many books, so little time"


I now pronounce you Mr. and Mrs. Edward Cullen. The date is set, the invitations sent out, now Bella is waiting for the countdown. Decided in New Moon, Bella knew the only way she and Edward could be together if she became a vampire like him. With so many threats made on her life, Bella was willing to give up everything, the sun, her mother and father, a future, just to be with Edward. With the catch in Eclipse, Edward promised he would be the one to change her, if and only if, she marries him first. For a girl who was born from a young marriage, this was quite a deal to make. Yet for Edward, the only answer was yes. “‘I’ll meet you at the altar.’ ‘I’ll be the one in white.’”. It was a fairy tale after all, a true love story between an extremely average girl, a vampire, and a hint of werewolf in the dull parts.

“I didn’t realize I was crying until it was time to say the binding words. ‘I do,’ I managed to choke out in a nearly unintelligible whisper, blinking my eyes clear so I could see his face”. After that it went by in a blurry memory of the dancing the kissing, the hugging. Bella rang true to the blushing bride saying, never letting go of Edward’s hand once. The best wedding surprise was Jacob, who was missing for months came to see the newlyweds. When looking for a white skinned, red eyed Bella, he found his Bella full of blood and emotions, a sick joke to him finding out that Edward and his human wife were doing the old fashion thing and taking a honeymoon as a vampire and human. That is what did for Bella. “‘I’m not putting anything off,’ I snapped. ‘And yes I can have a real honeymoon! I can do anything I want! Butt out!’”.  After that Bella swore to cut her sun from her life, after he only bring rainy days. That night they boarded a plane for a location Bella was kept in the dark of. Still Bella had a one track mind thinking of the last human experience she wanted to have until becoming immortal forever: losing her virginity.

In this entire series, this book had the most character development. From our trio of Bella, Edward and Jacob, to the Cullen family and friends. Bella as the main character had the least amount of personality change, only because she was so goal driven that nothing in her character could change. She was to be with Edward forever and Jacob was her best friend (and only her friend) and nothing was going to change that. She was right! Which in a way hurts the book more than helps it as Bella should not get everything she wants. Something should go wrong, something as a reader should make you feel for Bella’s loss. The emotional aspect of pity is gone because there is nothing to pity about as Bella gets everything she wants. Everything. Even the potential of losing her best friend is gone, as Jacob develops different feelings for Bella, even though deep down there will always part of him that will love her. Edward is the real one who suffers, as no matter how careful he was about Bella’s safety, it was him that caused her so much pain in a potential life suffering situation. We get to see a different side of our trio than before from caring, Jacob, motherly Bella and crazy Edward, who are quite different than their normal personalities.

Stephenie Meyer will always be known for her Twilight series. Yet what about this series drew people in? The areas of vampires and werewolves have already been covered, surely it was not the love triangle? My English teacher recommended my whole class (even the boys) to read this as it is such a common plot so what did Meyer’s do differently to draw millions of people to read her story? The answer I believe: Bella. Why? Because she was honestly the most boring person in the entire fictional world. There is nothing to her! Sure, she took advanced placement bio, her skin was paler than normal, her common brown hair and the fact that she was accident prone should not have landed her a guy like Edward, or the love story that went from that. Her beautiful love story about Edward, a handsome guy (who is a vampire, but that is not really a part in this) who is head over heels in love with her, is a guy most girls dream of. So if Bella who is so average (that it should be her middle name), can score a guy like Edward and a best friend like Jacob, well then there is a guy out there for you, because there is no way are you less interesting than Bella because that standard does not exist. Which is why some people (myself included) do not give Twilight the love it needs simply because the main character, Bella, is so boring it puts us to sleep. This final book does an amazing wrap up job though, tying off all loose ends and leave the readers with a happy smiling, knowing all is well in their world, and a bigger smile knowing you will not get to hear another love dripping thought of Bella’s anymore.


The author's comments:

"I’ll meet you at the altar." 

"I’ll be the one in white."