The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon | Teen Ink

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

By Hoonrey BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
Hoonrey BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin

Do you like rollercoasters? Well if you answered yes to this question I recommend the rollercoaster of emotions that the novel The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon is.  This book will take you on one of the most emotional rides of your life.  You will quickly be very involved with this book and constantly wanting to read more and will find it quite hard to put this book down.

You are introduced to a young boy named Christopher.  Christopher is different from other kids in the ways that he thinks, his level of intelligence and he also has autism.  You will embark on the adventure Christopher is on to solve the murder of his neighbor’s dog Wellington.  He was also the first person to come to the scene to find Wellington so he is falsely accused of the murder.  Christopher will come across road blocks mentally and physically.  Christopher does not like strangers but he will have to talk and question people to find out any information possible regarding Wellington’s murder.  Christopher is also prone to getting sick when his brain is flooded with too much information at one time and this is a challenge when he ventures off into different parts of the city.  HIs father also does not want him investigating the murder and wants him to stay out of other people’s business.  You will quickly learn that people like Christopher who are autistic think and perceive the world differently than we do.  This will lead to a great adventure that is sure to make any reader enjoy.

I personally found how Christopher thinks and sees the world very interesting.  He is wicked observant and has a near photographic memory, this allows for vivid descriptions that really let you picture the setting and bring you into the book.  The book is also set in a town in England and hearing their slang was quite funny if you are unfamiliar with it.  I also liked hearing Christopher talking about space and math which are two things he really likes and hearing these things I actually learned a few things.  Overall if you like math and space and want to learn a few things, enjoy subtle humor, and you want an emotional journey with an interesting and very smart main character and want an exceptional novel, then this is the perfect book for you.