Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements | Teen Ink

Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements

By PavitaReneeTaliaWinters BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
PavitaReneeTaliaWinters BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin

Bobby Phillips is a normal 15 year old boy who lives in Chicago. He gets up, goes to school, gets ignored by the kids, and comes home. Normal. He has a normal family, a mom and a dad. His parents both work as professor at a college. He isn’t poor, nor is he rich. He goes to the library to work on school like everyone else. He takes tests like everyone else. But one day all that changes. Bobby Phillips wakes up one morning invisible. Join Bobby as he learns the importance of family and trust. Meet Alicia, a girl who becomes Bobby’s friend. When police officers start to get suspicious, can Bobby return to normal, before it’s too late?

One thing that the author tries to suggest over and over is that people in this world may feel like they are the only ones facing this dilemma or this disease or this situation. Or they are the only ones who had something bad happen to them, but they are not. No one is alone, ever. There are 7 billion people out there. Chances are that at least one person is going through what someone went through or will go through.

The Author shows this through Bobby and Alicia conversation. “When I became blind, one of the first things the doctors did was tell me stories of people with my condition, people who literally woke up one morning blind. There were hundreds of cases similar to mine.”. The author also shows this when  Bobby starts researching information on people turning invisible. what  happens is that he learns that there are many people who claim to turn invisible for a couple of minutes at a time. He also found a website on people who were claimed to be abducted by aliens, and the only reason they kept quiet was because they thought they were the only ones who had that happen to them. But they weren’t. So Bobby theorizes: “ “There may be someone out there that woke up one morning invisible, too.”

I loved Things Not Seen by Andrew Clements, because the plot was great, there is not any swear words, or graphic details and the theme about not being alone was amazing. Even though, the novel seemed to move really slow in some parts, or too fast in others, the author tells the story pretty well. He gives a detailed story line that helps envision what is going on in the story. The author spins a positive view on life. He also adds some negative views on the government and police, while showing us that they are human. I highly recommend this novel for teens and tweens who love Sci-fi/ mystery novels.