Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson | Teen Ink

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

By chloe.bunker BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
chloe.bunker BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin

As we continue to grow, we learn more. Greg Mortenson figured that out the hard way. After his beloved sister, Christa, passes away, Greg decides to do something in memorial of her. He wants the climb K2, the second highest mountain in the world, to lay her amber necklace on the summit. After planning everything, Greg begins his journey, he spends over 70 days climbing the mountain. Greg somehow manages to get lost during his descent, and he falls upon a small village called Korphe. He is taken in by the leader, Haji Ali. After staying in Korphe, Greg becomes quick to learn that the town has no school. In a way to thank the town for their hospitality, Greg decides he will build them a school. And he means it. Greg goes back to America to raise money, and it isn’t easy. He struggles finding people who want to donate money to his fund. Eventually he finds someone, Jean Hoerni. Jean is the person that Greg needs to get started. He gives Greg motivation to complete the school, and once it’s completed, he wants pictures. Greg goes back to Pakistan to continue to build the school, but there is more than one factor that keep leading him off track. Mortenson learns that sometimes failures lead to opportunities. He also learned that sometimes you can create the strongest connections when you do good things out of the kindness of your heart. Haji Ali tells Greg, “Here we drink three cups of tea to do business; the first you are a stranger, the second you become a friend, and the third, you join our family, and for our family we are prepared to do anything – even die”(150). In the end of the book, something happens, and Greg has to experience that his country turned against him because they might believe you are doing a good thing, but for the wrong team. And I learned that times can be rough in other countries -- especially when they don’t have much money.

I did like the book, but I didn’t “love” it. I think there were some parts that were really engaging, and then the author kept going on and on and it got a little boring. There were also some kind of sad parts. And maybe some people could get choked up. I’m under the impression that this book would be great for anyone who is planning to make a big change or maybe you need the motivation. And I believe that you could get the motivation from this book. Go to your library and check it out today!