The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom | Teen Ink

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

March 28, 2009
By Kristin Baragona BRONZE, Sea Girt, New Jersey
Kristin Baragona BRONZE, Sea Girt, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The book, The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom, is a story about a man's journey through afterlife. It shows that every life is connected to another, even with strangers you have not met. This novel is about an elderly man named Eddie who has lost all of his relatives and friends. In the beginning of the story, the author tells you immediately that this is a book that starts at a death, but that death is only the beginning to every life; therefore, during the book you follow Eddie's journey throughout heaven. However, heaven is not what Eddie expected. He instantly discovers he will be visiting five people that he either affected their lives, or they affected his life. These people will assist Eddie in retracing his past events and teaching him the lessons he did not learn during his life on Earth.

This book fits into many genres. It could be considered an adventure novel. This is because the audience follows Eddie's journey all throughout heaven, to many different places in confusion and in sadness. The Five People You Meet in Heaven can also be a mystery. During Eddie's trip, you are wondering who each of his five people are, how they affected him, and where he will go next. The readers, and Eddie, also want to know what happened to the little girl that Eddie had tried to save from a falling cart from a ride, which caused Eddie to sacrifice his life. This novel may also be classified as a romance. In this book, Eddie frequently talks about the love of his life, Marguerite, who died many years before him.

This story was told in the third person form. I thought Mitch Albom did an incredible performance in writing it. It was written very well. Since Eddie died on his 83rd birthday, the author gave many flashbacks to many of Eddie's previous birthdays. This gave you an insight on Eddie's life has a child with his family and the ways he was treated by his loving mother, his hurtful father, and his somewhat jealous brother, Joe. The audience then saw Eddie's life at the pier and with his wife. During the meeting between Eddie and each of his five people in heaven, the author also showed the reader the events that had happened to that person, usually including Eddie in the events.

During the time of his death, Eddie lives in present day. But throughout the story, you see him in almost every year of his life. This book takes place at the Ruby Pier where Eddie worked, his father worked, and spent almost all of his life at. It also takes place at his apartment, which he also grew up in. The story is also seen at the various places in Heaven that Eddie visits.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven was a very creative book that I really enjoyed. Many have different beliefs on afterlife, and others do not think there is life after death. This idea on the organization of heaven is different and shows much imagination in the author. I would recommend this book, but only to those who would want to read a sad book. They also might not want to read it if they have very strong beliefs in the way they picture heaven in their mind, or to some who are very religious because they may take much offense in this book. I would definitely recommend this book to others, and it is not a very long read, which may attract many readers.

In the very beginning of this book, before the story starts, the author, Mitch Albom, dedicates this novel to his uncle, Edward Beitchman. He says that he was inspired to write this story when his uncle gave him his first concept of heaven. His uncle told a story one year during Thanksgiving about when one night in the hospital, when he awoke to see all the souls of his departed love ones sitting on the edge of his bed. Mitch Albom said he never forgot that story or his uncle. He also states that he knows everyone has their own views on what heaven is like, and does not want disrespect their ideas. This is only his version showing the way his uncle and many others felt not wanted on Earth, but realized in Heaven how much they mattered and were loved. In my opinion, this proves a lot about the author's views on life and afterlife. It also shows how much he cared for his uncle and was truly inspired.

Although Eddie's journey is a fictional story, no one factually knows if there is a life after death. And if there is a heaven, nobody knows what it is like. That is what makes this story so fascinating. It is amazing to know that the author's uncle had such a creative idea and that his nephew was able to put that beautiful story to life in his writing.