Private Peaceful | Teen Ink

Private Peaceful

By Raven Ursery BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
Raven Ursery BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado

The book Private Peaceful was a great way to start off my second quarter of school. Michael Morpurgo wrote a great book about love and war.

In this book two brothers grow up closer than ever. Charlie and Thomas get in so much trouble together until they meet a new girl at school named Molly.

Further on, the three learn there's more to life than pulling pranks and getting in trouble. Thomas and Charlie end up falling in love with Molly. Of course Charlie being the oldest won her heart. Before he knew it, Thomas could see them forming a loop that he was not in. He was soon completely cut off from them both after finding out that Molly is having Charlie's baby.

Soon after Molly's parents kicked her out, Charlie was sent off to war with his brother following behind him. As always Charlie looks out for Thomas, and takes any burden off of him that he can. When Charlie took everything too far he ended up serving the death sentence. Thomas was all alone after Charlie's death; so Thomas has to fight alone in the war.

Thomas learns that life is not about thinking what your next move is; it's about keeping promises. This is exactly what he does after Charlie is gone. He was loyal to his brother. I like that about this book he was sad that his brother was to be murdered, but he was strong through it all. Reading a book about two boys (one being underage) was very eye-opening. The action is suspenseful and I actually cried when Charlie died.

I really see where the author, Michael Morpurgo, was coming from. He was trying to get the message out to say that war is a terrible experience to live through. Private Peaceful is my favorite book, because of the message and moral to the story. For once, I am glad I picked up a book. I sure did pick a good one.

Jean16Bean PLATINUM, Batavia, New York

"Writing is not hard. Just get paper and pencil, sit down and write as it occurs to you. The writing is easy-it's the occurring that's hard."-Stephen Leacock

I love this book! I thought it was beautifully written, and I felt like crying at the end also. The complicated characters and the bond the two Peaceful brothers make this book outstanding. Big Joe was a great character also, and I loved the way he always sang oranges and lemons.