The Hunger Games: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

March 9, 2017
By Anonymous

Catching Fire was written by Suzanne Collins, and is the second book in The Hunger Games series. It is just as exciting as the first, but with even more twists and turns! The book begins with Katniss coming home after hunting in the woods, only to find President Snow, the leader of Panem. President Snow makes it clear that Katniss must convince Panem that she is in love with Peeta, or else uprisings in the districts will occur. People believe she was proposing suicide in the last games, because she was madly in love with Peeta. However, some people think it was an act of defiance and rebellion.


After Katniss returns from the victory tour, she comes home to eventually discover the next Quarter Quell. It will reap tributes from the district's existing pool of victors. Katniss is the only female tribute from District 12, therefore she will have to go back in the arena. In the Quarter Quell, Katniss and Peeta decide to create a career pack, therefore they survive the games fairly well. Finally at the end of the games, Katniss locates the hole in the force field with help from some alliances and shoots an arrow into the arena sky. Everything blows up and the force field is broken. While being unconscious, Katniss is taken out of the arena. She wakes up to find out that district twelve is ruined and that Peeta was taken by The Capitol. The girl on fire feels betrayed and depressed, and this leads to the third book, Mockingjay.


My favourite character in this book would be Katniss Everdeen. She is a brave young woman who will do whatever it takes to protect the ones she loves. Katniss is clever and knows how to survive. She also shows the female audience that girls are powerful and they can be the heros too, not just men. Katniss survives the games for the second time, with help from her bow and arrow. I admire her confidence in survival.


The main issue in this novel is very internal. Katniss must decide whether or not she wants to be a part of the sparking rebellion against The Capital. The moment she gets rescued by district thirteen from the arena, the conflict is not decided by her but for her. She must join the rebellion because if she doesn’t, the capitol will take over once again, and make something far worse as a punishment. The conflict is not entirely resolved, because she still has a continuous struggle in Mockingjay with helping the rebel forces out.


I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in action and adventure. This book is also for people who like themes about standing up for rights, and a society uniting. Catching Fire will keep you focused as soon as you read the first page, and will keep you excited through the whole thing. It has romance and friendships developing as well! If you enjoy a good book that will keep your adrenaline up, this is the book for you!