Night by Elie Wiesel | Teen Ink

Night by Elie Wiesel

By brooklyn9899 GOLD, Defiance, Ohio
brooklyn9899 GOLD, Defiance, Ohio

"All"

Night by Elie Wiesel retells the horrid monsters and scenes he had to face during the holocaust.   The plot takes us through his time in ghettos, concentration camps, and cattle trains. Before moving to the ghetto Elie had grown close to Moche the beadle was a town “drunk”, in a way. He was deported but soon came back to tell the other Jews what had happen to him. Elie wrote this book to remind us and share his nightmares. His mother and father raised Elie, along with his three sisters.  They were soon all gathered into a ghetto, Elie’s house being on the corner. They did not believe him and took him for granted.  Months later the ghetto was liquidated or abandoned, Elie and his family moved to the slightly smaller ghetto. While stationed there for a couple weeks they miss their chance.  From there Elie’s family were loaded onto a train and were hauled to Birkenau, the reception center for Auschwitz.  Elie and his father were torn apart from his sisters and mother to never see them again.  Elie and his father were taken from everything that made them a human.  They then traveled to Auschwitz and forcefully labored for months.  The SS loaded the starving men onto trains, most of the men dying, and hauled them to Buna, then to Gleiwitz, then to Buchenwald.  The last camp is where Elie had watched his father die, eternally and physically.  A little after his fathers death, Elie was liberated.  

The story of Elie’s encounter with death and life, summons emotions that I did not know I had.  The plot was excellently written, flowing like loose ribbon in the wind.  Elie takes us through the horrors of the unimaginable that he had to face and carry with him.  He used imagery to take us through the winding river of horrors and death.  Elie allows us to use our imagination to see what he had gone through.