Night by Elie Wiesel | Teen Ink

Night by Elie Wiesel

Night written by Elie Wiesel is an unbelievable nonfiction novel with a first-hand experience during one of the most dreadful times in world history: The Holocaust.  Elie was only almost thirteen years old when he and his family was taken from their home in the town of Sighet in Transylvania. They were taken in 1942 and he was finally freed in 1945. 

Night describes the events Elie went through and has a vivid description of people he saw and places he has been to.  However, the amount of gore in the book was next to none, for the people who despise these types of imagery.  Night has a deep personal meaning to both the author and the readers because it opens up a dark time in history where the Nazis assassinated thousands of Jews, which was later known as the Holocaust.  Even though this even doesn’t want to be remembered or wants to be kept quiet, the events that happened to all of the Jews has to somehow be told.  Eli had lived to experience the unimaginable and survived.  Losing both of his parents, and his sister was hard on him, but he managed to have some kind of trust in someone.  People have to correctly interpret the horrific events that took place at Auschwitz and realize that there is no supreme race and to not harm those who have never harmed others. 

If people continue to harm other people for race or religion, then there will be another outbreak in war between countries.  The catastrophes that occurred from bombings in countries or the event that took place in New York on September 11, 2001 will continue if people don’t soon realize that the only harm they are causing are to themselves.