Night by Elie Wiesel | Teen Ink

Night by Elie Wiesel

March 8, 2017
By Lindsay Patterson SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Lindsay Patterson SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In 1945 after the dust from the fighting of World War II settled, over six million Jews were dead from years of systematic killings.  The author of the book Night, Elie Wiesel, was one of the few Jewish people that managed to survive this persecution.  The Nobel Peace Prize winner describes in-depth all of the struggles he had to overcome in the multiple concentration camps.


Elie’s life changed forever in the spring of 1944 when the Jewish community he lived his was forced into a ghetto along with many other communities.  He and his family moved through different ghettos until they were finally deported to Birkenau, the “reception center” of Auschwitz.  When they arrived, his mother and sister were immediately sent to death.  Elie and his father managed to stay together.  The two were together until the very end.  They survived miles of death marches, long periods of starvation, train rides that seemed to go on forever, and the constant fear of death.  Elie is the only survivor of his family, and he had to persevere through more obstacles than one can ever imagine. 


This is a book that everyone should read, along with other books written by Holocaust survivors.  Our world as a whole needs to constantly be reminded of the tragic and senseless deaths that occurred during that war so that it is never repeated.  There are also many lessons to be learned from Night. Among those are lessons of never giving up, always being positive even in times of trouble, and always having faith in something, whether that be God, yourself, etc.