The Alchemyst: Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, by Michael Scott | Teen Ink

The Alchemyst: Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, by Michael Scott

The Alchemyst: Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, by Michael Scott is a very fascinating book, but not always in a good way. Don’t get me wrong, the book is not bad by any means, but because of the choices Scott made, this New York Times Bestseller Fantasy can be very boring.

The story is set in San Francisco, modern time. This novel is about 15-year-old twins, Sophie and Josh are stuck in a very interesting position when John Dee comes to the bookstore where Josh works, he comes in to steal the Codex or the book of secrets.

Nicholas Flamel and Perenelle Flamel, owners of the codex and the bookstore, been living for centuries by using the codex to make the elixir of life. When John Dee steals the Codex, he has the power to destroy the world, but luckily is missing the Final Summoning or the pages that would summon the Dark Elders.

Nicholas then takes the twins around, meeting elders and going through battles, because they have the magical potential and they are the only ones who can save the world. As they go through battles and action, they unlock their powers to use magic.

In my opinion, I did not like a few things. First, it was revolved around the twins way too much and could have explored a lot of other characters. I also did not like that battles would be slow and boring instead of exciting. I did really like the background information and just on what the story is about, but because of using all the cliches of fantasies, it really ruined the experience, because I just could have predicted the whole plot. I enjoyed this book, but I think it could have been more explored.

My stupid LA teacher made me do this.. lol jk