The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

March 2, 2017
By Anonymous

The Fault in our Stars is a beautiful romance about two teenagers who fall in love after meeting at a support group session. The author, John Green takes readers through an emotional roller coaster. He brings Hazel, the emotions of the main characters to life and as readers, we feel what she does. They live in Modern time, Indianapolis, where they learn the meaning of love.

 

To begin with, the major character of the novel would be Hazel. Her full name is Hazel Grace Lancaster, but she likes to be called just, ¨Hazel.¨ She is a sixteen-year-old girl who has stage four thyroid cancer. She falls in love with a boy named Augustus Waters. She loves to read books, especially An Imperial Affliction by her favorite author, Peter Van Houten. She is very advanced for her age, considering she is taking college classes when she's sixteen. She has a very serious, yet funny and very optimistic. Her appearance definitely suits her. She has a pageboy haircut, that she didn't really brush often, fat chipmunked cheeks as a side effect of treatment and she's skinny. Hazel is also very judgemental towards herself and towards Gus when they first meet. In the book, she quoted, ¨I looked away, suddenly conscious of my myriad insufficiencies.¨ Hazel didn't understand why a hot guy like Gus, would be interested in her, and as she said herself, ¨I looked like a normally proportioned person with a balloon for a head. This was not even to mention the cankle situation.¨ She is very humble, but when Gus noticed her for the first time, she immediately started to judge herself. Additionally, with all of her crazy Augustus Waters came into her life and played a very important role in it. Gus is an 18-year-old boy who had Osteosarcoma, but later in the story, it comes back. She falls in love with him officially in Amsterdam. The two go on a lovely trip that encountered a few bumps but was a great success. Gus is more of a ¨cool guy¨ type, but he has an interest in reading like Hazel which makes me believe he is secretly nerdy. On the other hand, Hazel and Gus's friend, Isaac shares a different relationship with Hazel. The two met at Support Group a while before she met Gus at Support Group. The two would casually talk but never really became close until Gus came along. But after Guss death in the end of the novel, the two become closer, seeking for a friend in their dark time.


There are several minor characters in the novel, for example, Hazel and Gus's parents, Isaac, Peter Van Houten, Lideweij, Kaitlyn, Patrick, and others. To start off, Peter Van Houten is at most very drunk and at least very intelligent. He is the author of Hazel and Gus's favorite book, An Imperial Affliction. When Hazel and Gus went to Amsterdam to visit him, he was nothing but cruel to them, questioning why they came all the way to Europe to see him and judging them based on Hazel's cancer. In the end, he was still a bad person but Hazel understood why he was the way he was and why he did what he did. Additionally, Kaitlyn is Hazel's best friend. The two went to school together when they were younger but since Hazel is so smart, the two didn't really see each other that much. The only time's readers hear about her is when they go to the mall and Kaitlyn tries on shoes, and when Hazel asked her for boy advice. Other than this, she isn't mentioned at all, hence why she is a minor character and why she does not affect the storyline at all. This is also probably why they didn't include her in the movie. She is a huge diva, she thinks speaking in a French accent makes her seem more mature, she loves to shop, and she loves her friend Hazel but spending so much time without each other, she seems to be a little uncomfortable with Hazel, since they don't really know a lot about each other anymore. When the two are hanging out together, Hazel quotes, ¨But three years removed me from proper full-time schoolic exposure to my peers, I felt a certain unbridgeable distance between us.¨ To add on, Lidewij is Peter Van Houten's assistant, she is very humble and very sweet. Whenever Peter needed something she was alway there, but when he humiliated Hazel with her cancer, she walked out on him and took Hazel and Gus to the Anne Frank Museum. She was a very friendly character who had caring nature for her friends, even though she only knew the two for about a week.


To summarize, the story takes place in Indianapolis, where two teenagers, Hazel and Augustus meet. The two originally met at a support group for kids with cancer. Hazel has stage 4 thyroid cancer and Gus later has severe Osteosarcoma. The two soon get very close and discuss many things, including books they enjoy. When Hazel gives Gus a book titled, An Imperial Affliction, the two become infatuated with knowing how the book ends. So, the two use their ¨Death Wish¨, to go to Amsterdam and meet the author of the book and get their answers. Unfortunately, the author is too drunk to meet their acquaintance and sends them away. Instead, the two explore the beautiful city of Amsterdam. As the story takes a tremendous turn, Hazel and Gus find themselves in their last days together, seeing that Gus is dying from a recurrence of Osteosarcoma. Hazel spends every moment she can with him until the horrific day he passes away. She finds herself in a dark place filled with sorrow and her love for Gus. But soon after she passes, she finds herself obsessed with finding a letter wrote for her. When she finds it, she realizes that it was meant for Peter Van Houten, talking about what an amazing person Hazel is and how she may not be noticed by the world, but she would be remembered by the ones who truly loved her. In Addition, I believe the climax is the part when Gus announces his cancer is back. I say this because every page after he says this to Hazel is about how he is getting worse every day and how he is throwing up in his car or when he plans his funeral. The story takes a very dark turn from romance and nothing could ever go wrong to Gus is dying and there is nothing we can do to stop it from completely taking away from us. The climax is never really solved except for the fact that Gus passes. To conclude, Hazel finds the letter written to Peter van Houten, Augustus died from Osteosarcoma, and Hazel talked with Peter van Houten and found out his secret about his daughter and how she had cancer.


In conclusion, The Fault in Our Stars is an amazing book. The novel talks about our biggest fears while taking through the things that we love. My favorite fragment in the novel is written in chapter blah page blah. This is where Hazel and Gus meet Peter Van Houten for the first time. In my opinion, Peter Van Houten is a great character, he symbolizes the people in the world that can bring you down, while showing readers that everyone is the way they are for a reason. His reason being, his daughter died of cancer and his wife left him because he quickly became a drunk after the tragic loss of his daughter. He fell into a deep depression and the only way he thought he could release himself from it is by drinking. Going back to the scene, Van Houten made numerous comments about Hazel's appearance and her cancer. He quoted, ¨You are a side effect of an evolutionary process that cares for individual lives. You are a failed experiment in mutation.¨ Instead of making me feel insulted for Hazel, this scene really made me wonder why he said what he did and if John Green would add anything onto that later in the novel. Indeed he did and this made it my favorite part of the novel. On another note, I would recommend this to any teenage girl with a love for cheesy romances. For one, finding a really attractive boy staring at you is highly impractical, and the chance of that same boy liking everything you like is very unrealistic. In all, I loved the book with the occasional dislike of some fragments and I would rate this novel four out of five stars. This is because the book was great but it all seemed a bit to fantasized for me. I would rather have a book be based on a true romance than a cheesy invented story. If you decide to read this book, I hope you enjoy it and I hope you get something out of it like I did- I now understand that Cancer is not something that defines you, is it just a part of your life.
 


The author's comments:

I am new to TeenInk. I am very excited to post my very first review. I hope you like it and make sure to leave good or bad comments!