Famous Last Words by Katie Alender | Teen Ink

Famous Last Words by Katie Alender

The book Famous Last Words is an extraordinary story. The author, Katie Alender, does a fantastic job making the book a suspenseful supernatural, murder mystery. This book takes place in modern day, Hollywood, California.

The Major character in this book is Willa. She is 17 years old and just moved to California. She's been mourning over her dead father since he died, two years ago and tries to communicate with his spirit. She sees various words written on her wall or things at different places. She feels like an outsider at her new school.

The minor characters in Famous Last Words are Willa's mom, Johnathan, Reed, Wyatt, and the Hollywood Killer. Jonathan is Willa's stepdad he is a movie director. Jonathan hires Reed as his assistant. Reed is handsome and really seems to understand Will, they end up spending a lot of time with each other. Wyatt is Willa's chemistry partner and very smart but has a damaging obsession with the Hollywood Killer. Lastly, the Hollywood Killer is a person that reenacts famous movie murder scenes.

The story starts off when Willa moves from Connecticut to Hollywood, California. Since moving into the new house Willa started seeing things. It's not long before Willa realizes her new home is haunted. Though her hard times, she doesn't have that anyone understands her or is there for her except her stepdad’s young, handsome assistant Reed. After more and more murders happen Willa gets held captive. She gets set up to be in one of the murder movie scenes. Willa escapes with the knowledge of who the Hollywood Killer is.

This was one of the best books I've read. It was scary and had me on the edge of my seat. It was very mysterious and I would've never guessed who the killer was. In my opinion, this book is appropriate for ages 11-14, anyone who is older than that wouldn't really be that interested and kids younger wouldn't understand it.