Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

March 2, 2017
By Anonymous

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, an adventurous, full of action novel takes place in Panem district 1-12. This meaning the capital is the nicest… and the 12th district being the worst. The setting of the book is mostly in the arena, district 12 and the capital. The time the book takes place is about 2084… the way in the future.

Katniss Everdeen is the main character in the Hunger Games. She is 16 years old and normally keeps to herself. She has one sister and a mom, and her father passed away when she was little. She isn't very open to people, she only opens to Gale Hawthorne. She volunteered to take her sister's place because unfortunately she got picked to represent the girls in the 74th hunger games. Another main character is Peeta Mellark who is 16 years old and is more open. He has two brothers, mom, and dad. He also gets picked to be the boy for the 74th hunger games. However, no one, not even his older brothers volunteered to take his place. The hunger games are when 2 people, a girl, and boy are picked from each of the 12 districts to compete in the hunger games. You fight to the death until one person is standing from the 24 people chosen.


Gale Hawthorne is a minor character, he works at a mine to take care of his family, he is only 18 years old and is Katniss “bestfriend” he wants to be more, and she feels something towards him but is confused about her feelings. Another minor character is Effie Trinket. She lives in the capital a place where the president lives, and if you live in the capital you are safe from the hunger games, because 2 people from the capital don't get picked to play. She comes to district 12 and picks the boy and gril who are fighting and take them on the journey to the arena. Her age is not stated in the book.


In the beginning of the story it talks about how Katniss life isn't too great. She lives in a small house, never has enough food, and she brake the rules and goes hunting when it is clearly restricted. Katniss really expresses she loves her family and would do anything for them, also Gale her best friend. The problem is her sister Primrose Everdeen was called to represent the girl for district 12 in 74th hunger games. She is 12 years old and this is the first year she had to put her name in. There is a 1 and a million chance of her getting picked, and she did, Katniss being the brave older sister stepped forward and screamed out “I volunteer as tribute.” No one in the history of the hunger games from district 12 has volunteered. She has to face 24 other people and theoretically kill them because she is trying to win. In the end, the game maker ( a person who makes the setting of the arena, the rules or the arena) speaks out and says 2 people can win… however they have to be from the same district. Katniss knew Peeta was still alive and she went to find him. He was hurt badly, but Katniss didn't leave him and romance started to come out between the two characters. The announcers spoke out again and it was only Peeta and Katniss were left… they won, or so they thought. He says only one of them could win. They said to each other I wouldn't want to win without you here, and they were both going to eat poison berries and then no one would win. At the last second the announcer screams out he takes them back. Katniss and Peeta end up winning the 74 annual hunger games.


Last but not least, this book was amazing. This thrilling book kept me on the edge of my seat never wanting to put the book down! This book put everything into detail, there is many hooks, and keeps you wanting to read! I would recommend this book to teenage girls or mostly people who like adventures, and a lot of actions in their book. They would enjoy this because there are a lot of mysteries in the book, there is a little romance.


The author's comments:

This is the first of three books in the series.