Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The novel “Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins is a Science Fiction novel. The main character Katniss, lives in district 12. It takes place in 2087 when she enters the 74th annual Hunger Games.

The main character in the novel is Katniss Everdeen. She is 16 years old and she was raised in a poor household and she has a very big heart but she is also very cold hearted if you get on her bad side. In the novel she only has her mother and her little sister Prim. She really isn't that close with her mother but she loves her sister so much that she even took Prim’s place in the Hunger Games. Katniss volunteered to compete in the Hunger Games for Prim, so Prim didn’t have to compete. Alongside with her from the same district is a 16 year old boy named Peeta Mellark. Peeta comes from poverty also and an abusive mother. Peeta had like Katniss ever since they were little and he tells her when they won't end up meeting together ever again because there is only one victorious in the Hunger Games.

Hunger Games is a story about a young girl who competes in a bloody war game called The Hunger Games. When she enters the battlefield she doesn't just face physical warfare also mental warfare. During the battling Katniss meet a girl name Rue that was the same age as her sister and Katniss protected her because she was thinking of her sister Prim.

There are many side characters in this novel but the most important are Rue and Prim. The reason why Rue and Prim are so important is because they both are important in Katniss’s life. Prim is the reason why Katniss is fighting in the Hunger Games, Katniss is fighting for her. Katniss loves Rue because Katniss sees her little sister Prim when she see’s Rue.

If you like action and drama then this book is for you! The reason I like this book is because it puts so much detail into the words that it makes it seem like you are actually seeing what they are describing. The book has a way of pulling you in slowly and making your interest even bigger towards the book.