New Moon by Stephenie Meyer | Teen Ink

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

The book I read was New Moon by Stephenie Meyer.  The genre is fantasy.  Let’s face it, vampires aren’t real, but it is quite intriguing reading about the fantasy of them.  The setting in the book changes a lot.  The main three places talked about is the school, Bella’s house, and Edward’s house.  It never mentioned the time, but based off of the content and the fact that they had Iphones, I’m guessing that they are in the present in Phoenix.

The major character is Bella Swan.  The book is told from her point of view. It’s in first person so we only know what she says and thinks, and what other people say to her.  She is 17 years old and has a kind personality.  Everyone likes her because she’s sweet but somewhat serious.  Caring is her middle name.  She cares so much for the people around her.  Bella has red hair and green eyes.  She is Edward’s girlfriend.  During the book, Edward tries to avoid Bella because he thinks that since he’s a vampire, that he’s constantly putting her in danger.  She doesn’t like the fact that Edward doesn’t seem to care about who she feels about that so he disappears for a while.  Bella almost dies four times because of not being with Bella.  This twist made Edward come back and she forced him to promise to never leave her alone like that again. 

The minor characters in the book are Edward Cullen, Jacob Black, Billy Black, Rosalie Hale, Alice Cullen, Jasper Hale, Esme Cullen, Emmett Cullen, Carlisle Cullen, and Charlie Swan.  Edward Cullen is Bella’s vampire boyfriend.  He is cold to the touch because he’s… dead, as all vampires are.  Edward is the son of Carlisle. Jacob Black is Bella’s childhood friend.  He is a werewolf.  His father, Billy Black, is Bella’s Dad’s best friend.  Rosalie Hale is a vampire that was raped by her drunken boyfriend and his friends.  Carlisle changed her because she was dying from how bad they beat her up.  Alice Cullen is Carlisle’s daughter.  She is very insightful and is able to see into the near future but she can only draw it or touch others to show them the vision.  Jasper Hale is Alice’s vampire boyfriend.  Esme Cullen is Carlisle’s vampire wife.  Emmett Cullen is Rosalie’s vampire boyfriend.  Carlisle Cullen is a very caring person who is able to control himself around blood.  He is a doctor.  Charlie Swan is Bella’s dad. 

As the story begins, Edward tells Bella that he’s going away.  She begs him not to, but he goes anyway and it seems as if he’s cold hearted.  Bella tries chasing after him and then trips and hits her head on a rock which makes her pass out in the middle of the woods.  Jacob Black finds her and takes her home.  When she wakes up, all shes concerned about is Edward.  The climax is when the tables turn.  Edward left because he thought he was putting Bella in danger, but when they are apart, both of them are in danger.  Neither want to live without the other, but Edward thinks it’s best to be away from Bella.  Edward heads to a place when the head vampires kill the vampires that no longer want to live.  Bella jumps off a cliff and ends up passing out in the water.  Then she asks Jacob to ride a motorcycle and she ends up swerving off the road.  Jacob saves bella each time and then Alice alerts Bella by letting her know what is going on.  To conclude, Bella shows up at the place right before they kill Edward and she saves him.  They then go home and both vow to never leave one another again.  Edward finally realises that he isn’t the danger… he’s the one who protects her from the danger.

My opinion on this book is that it truly is amazing.  Granted it is fantasy, but it shows how powerful love is.  The author includes hidden real life situations within the over exaggerated life of a human and vampire in love.  I recommend this book to people who like books that take them on an adventure and keep them on the edge of their seat.  I know that this book surely did that for me.  I think that people in middle school and up should read this.  Because the way things are worded are more complex.  I enjoyed this book a lot because it’s interesting.  It was one of those books that once you start reading it, you're so drawn into it that you don't want to stop reading and once you’ve finished it, you wish it would continue because you really want to know what happens next.  I’m not going to lie, I’m not the type to read a lot, but this story I would read it a thousand times over again trying to find new hidden meanings.  

My first attempt at teen ink.  I love the Twilight series books.  Hope you like this as well.