Max: Best Friend, Hero, Marine by Jennifer Li Shotz | Teen Ink

Max: Best Friend, Hero, Marine by Jennifer Li Shotz

The Book Max, by Jennifer Li Shotz, is taken place in rural America. It is now a Major Motion Picture. The book has two main characters, Max, and Justin. This story is based on true events and is very inspiring. Max is a dog, and Justin is his owner ( Towards the middle of the book ).

The two main characters, as I said before, are Max, and Justin. Max is a dog that serves in the military. He was paired up with Kyle, Justin’s older brother. When Kyle is killed in action, Max is forced to go back to America. He wasn’t able to stabilize himself after Kyles death and was going to be put down. Justin, a teenage boy, who sells illegally, copied video games to people and his friends. He is Kyle’s younger brother, and when his family was notified of his death, Justin didn’t have anyone else. Justin was petrified. His relationship with his brother was very strong, and his friendship with Max will grow stronger too.

Minor characters are Justin’s friends and Parents. His parents loved Kyle, but his dad didn’t really believe in Justin like he did with Kyle, but it starts to change over the course of the story. Justin’s friends help him go through his tough times and also help him go through his adventures.

The story began in Afghanistan. As Justin was on a mission with his group, he hears something and takes Max to go see what it is. As they get closer a bomb goes off, and this is how Kyle got killed. As Max and Justin go to the funeral they met for the first time. As the story goes on Max and Justin start to grow a friendship and their family finally adapts Max, and save him from death. As Tyler, one of Kyle’s marine friend comes back to give his respects, Justin starts to catch on to something. Justin is a part of a selling of illegal guns, and he tries and stops him with his friends and his dog, Max. As the story goes on they find out more and find out the meeting place. As they get there, they try to stop Tyler. Max starts to attack and so does Justin but they are overmatched. They still keep fighting and then he sees his dad show up, and with shock, Justin sees his dad helping take down Tyler. As someone shoots the car full of the weapons and the car flips and gunshots go off from the car. Max then falls off the side of the cliff but luckily lands on the side and lives.  As the fight goes on, out of nowhere Justin sees Max attack Tyler and save Justin, and Max held on and they both fell off the side of the cliff, and they both die.

This is one of my favorite books I have ever read. I would give it 5 stars. I think anyone could read this book, even if you don’t like dogs, this story will make you love them. I enjoyed because it held all the emotions in it. It was happy, sad, fun, adventurous, and last but not least, it was true.

The book Max, is one of my favorites. I would recommend it to any age and any person because it has many emotions in it. If I would rate it, I would give it a 5 out of 5.