The Maze Runner by James Dashner | Teen Ink

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

March 2, 2017
By JamilaS BRONZE, Norridge, Illinois
JamilaS BRONZE, Norridge, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The book is Young Adult Fiction. And the main setting in this book is a glade. The other settings take place in the Maze and the Cliff. Everything happens in the glade. It is pretty much where all the other gladers were sent to. The Creator's choose which next person is going in the Glade, and when new people in, they usually have forgotten everything and do not know what happened to them, or how they got there. The Maze is in the courtyard of the Glade. This Maze is a very mysterious place. It is very eerie and massive, with endless corridors with tall walls covered in ivy. This Maze has no exit. And the Cliff is pretty much a the end of the Maze. The Gladers are thrown off into a bottomless pit.


Thomas wants to be a runner, which is the person who goes into the maze to find an exit. Thomas is about 17 years old. He is The one who tries to help save everyone he can. He is the main character. He is about 5’9 tall with brown hair. Alby is known as the leader. He is 17 years old. He helps in every way he can. He is a major character. Short cropped black hair and is dark skinned. Newt is about 16 years old. He is known as the co-leader because everyone looks up to him. He is a major character. He has brown hair and has an accent. Chuck is 12 to 13 years old. He is friendly and has a good sense of humor. He became braver and ends as a hero. Chuck is a minor character. He has brown eyes and brown hair that hangs over his ears and neck. Gally is 15 years old. He is a really mean character and went crazy and tried to kill Thomas then ran away. He is a major character. He has black hair and is tall and skinny. Teresa is about 16 or 17 years old.  She is the only girl and was a very strong and brave character. She is a major character. She is pale and has black hair and blue eyes. Minho is a strong-minded character. He taught Thomas everything he had to know and always backs up Thomas. He is 17 years old and is a major character. He is an Asian kid with strong arms and short black hair.


The book starts off with Thomas being in a metal box going up an elevator and finally waking up with no memory. When he finally gets to the top of the elevator, he is pulled out by a bunch of boys, with no memory just like him. Thomas gets up and looks around the Glade. The next day another person comes up from the elevator but this time, it was a girl. When she arrives everything starts to change. The sun disappears, the deliveries for supplies stop coming, and the doors stay open at night which allows Graviers to come in. Thomas comes up with an idea that the movements of the walls are codes. And soon they discover that the maze is spelling out words. Thomas also finds out that the Grievers are coming from the Cliff. A bunch of them decided to go and make a run for it. They make it out alive only to find out that it was an experiment being made by the Creators, a group called WICKED. The rest of the guys and girl get rescued by a rebel group and brought to a safe place.


This book is very adventurous. It is a really exciting book. Every time you read a page you just want to keep on reading to know what happens next. I recommend this book for all ages because this book is enjoyable for every age. Everyone would enjoy it because this book will excite everyone. Everyone will enjoy this book because it is not for a specific age.