James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl | Teen Ink

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

March 2, 2017
By Anonymous

To begin with, I read a book James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. The genre of this book would be children’s literature. James and the Giant Peach setting time would be between times 1931 and 1961. The setting mainly takes place in James’ Aunt’s house. The setting then gets moved to New York City because of the characters sailing with their friends, all around the world. This has a good plot and they get to travel the world, so there are many settings but the one main one would actually be on the peach itself.
     

The major character in this book would be James. His full name is James Henry Trotter, and he lives with his horrible aunts because his parents died. His parents died when he was at the age of 4. His personality at the beginning of the story would be very sad and lonely ever since his parents got killed by a rhinoceros. James at the end of the story is very adventurous and very outgoing now since he learned the importance of living life to the fullest. James’ appearance would be a skinny and around 8 or 9 years old. For being a kid he is very smart and doesn’t realize it but now everyone wants to be his friend. Everyone on the whole earth gathers around him for his incredible story of a sad life, then to an amazing one. James’ relationship to other characters has a strong connection. As soon as he saw them he was scared because they were bugs, but that all changed. Now he calls them his family because they became so close to him. His role in the story is a big one because without him there would be no James. James is basically the glue of the story, he shows the importance to the readers of how to live life, and always make the best out of every situation.
   

Some other characters in this book would be Aunt Spiker, Aunt Sponge, Old man, Centipede, Miss Spider, Earthworm, Old Green grasshopper, Ladybug, Silkworm, and finally, Glow-worm. Some basic background of these characters is both of his aunts are very cruel. Aunt Spiker is tall and scary. Aunt Sponge is bigger and also very cruel. The old man gave James the special beans to make the peach grow which made everyone love the peach. The old man made the story happen to like it happened. Centipede is the tough guy on the Peach, more like a co-captain. Miss Spider is pretty mysterious more like a tougher girl in the book. Earthworm is like the bait, for one of the scenes they use him as bait to attract seagulls to pick up the peach! Old Green Grasshopper is the smart one and likes to play his violin a lot. Lady bug is probably one of the nicest people in the world if you do something wrong she will forgive you for it no matter what. The other characters are just seen once in the book, but all of the characters I have talked about are either main characters or characters that are just added to make the story go by smoother.


This story begins on the side of a beach where James use to live. Nicely with his parents, lots and lots of friends to play with. One day that all changed, an angry rhinoceros ran over them and crushes them. It had escaped from the zoo! Shortly after James was an orphan they had to call up whoever was left in his family, which was his terrible aunts. They make him do a lot of labor, hours and hours of it. He can never just go out and play with normal kids anymore.  Then it all happened especially when the old man just showed up magically and game him special magic beans. Then, James tripped and fell, spilled the beans everywhere! The next day a peach starts getting huge, gigantic! The climax would be when he figures out that there is a whole in the peach. He then crawls in and sees a bunch of life-size bugs. They end up needing to hide from his aunts and begin their journey across the Atlantic Ocean. There is a problem of them actually getting to New york. New York was half way across the world, so this obviously was very awesome to finally get there. The story then ends with them reaching New York and his aunts catching up to him. He then ends up telling everyone about the bugs all around the world, and they adopt James. The story ends and he lives telling everyone his story and adventure he lives with his bug family now!
   

In conclusion, this book is very amazing for many reasons. My opinion is very strong about this and grew up watching this movie. I saw on many sites many people love this book and they highly recommend this for every kid. Another good reason to read this book it is written by Roald Dahl! Roald Dahl is a very good author, he fought in a war and saw many things as a person growing up. He is a very experienced author that knows many author’s craft techniques, so read this book. My perspective on this book would be for kids only. I think adults would not like the actual story only because the genre is children’s literature. The kids would enjoy this because it had a good plot and a good story overall. I would give this book 5 out of 5 stars.


The author's comments:

This is my favorite book and I have seen the movie so many times.