To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee | Teen Ink

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

March 2, 2017
By Anonymous

The book “To Kill a Mockingbird” is a novel by Harper Lee. The book takes place during the Great Depression in Maycomb County, a district in Alabama. The story is set in the early 1930s. The genre of the story is coming of age and social drama.


Scout Finch is not only the main character of the story but is also the narrator.  The story is told from the point of view of a first-grade girl, telling us what she saw and felt during the Great Depression. Scout mostly tells us her thoughts, and how she feels. She and her older brother spy on their neighbor. While her dad is defending Tom Robinson, an African-American man.


Scout Finch and her older brother Jem, spend a lot of time with their friend Dill. They like to spy on their lonely and mysterious neighbor who hasn't gone outside for a long time, Boo Radley. Atticus Finch, their father is a lawyer, defends a black man. Tom Robinson was accused of raping and beating a 19-year old girl, Mayella Ewell.The events uncover the children to racism and stereotyping.


Scout Finch leaves with her older brother, Jem and her father, Atticus. They live in Maycomb, a town in Alabama. Maycomb is going through the hardships of the Great Depression. Atticus defends a Tom Robinson, who is accused of rape, he was guilty. Scout and Jem didn’t know how a jury believed Ewell’s fake charges. Tom Robinson gets shot while trying to escape from jail.Bob Ewell attack Scout and Jem as they were walking home one night, but their neighbor Boo Radley saves them and kills Bob Ewell.The sheriff knew that Boo Radley would be misunderstood and put into jail like Tom Robinson, so he protects Boo Radley, and says that Bob Ewell tripped and fell on his own knife. After Boo Radley talked with Scout for a bit, he goes home and Scout never sees him again.


In my opinion, the book was written very well, I enjoyed it and this was one of my favorite books. This book had lots of symbolism in it and I would get so interested in it that I wouldn’t stop reading the book. I recommend it for the age 12 and older.


The author's comments:

My teacher made me do it!