The House on Mango Street | Teen Ink

The House on Mango Street

By adrianramz2 BRONZE, Covina, California
adrianramz2 BRONZE, Covina, California

I will summarize the story House on Mango Street Novel by Sandra Cisneros. I think a lot of people should read this story because it teaches how to become something out of nothing.

The house on Mango Street is a novel about a young Chicana girl named Esperanza. She’s is only 12 years old when the novel  first starts, her and her family moves to a house in Chicago on Mango Street. It is way better than the apartment she lived in before; it is her parents’ first house they ever owned. Over the years Esperanza grows and she becomes more sexually vulnerable and more mature. This whole story takes place in Chicago in a ghetto area. I think the purpose of this story is not giving up that, we all can make it. Esperanza says “In English my name means hope. In Spanish it means too many letters. It means sadness, it means waiting. It is like the number nine. A muddy color. It is the Mexican records my father plays on Sunday mornings when he is shaving, songs like sobbing.

My opinion on this whole story is great. I think people go through this same life today of struggling, no money, and barely able to have a place to call home. People should read this story so they can learn to appreciate the things they have that other people would die for