Miracles on 49th Street by Mike Lupica | Teen Ink

Miracles on 49th Street by Mike Lupica

By KatieO BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
KatieO BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas

With the crowds on their feet roaring, and the last quarter minutes ticking away, the teams on the court are dribbling the basketball for a few more shots. Who will win? Miracle on 49th street by Mike Lupica opened my eyes to the world of sports and I found an appreciation in basketball. Ever since, I take pleasure watching basketball and cheering on my local team. Miracle on 49th Street captivates the reader and will encourage you to never give up. The tale takes place in Boston, Massachusetts. Molly, who has lost her mother to cancer, is struggling with her new home and family. Mike Lupica illustrated each character and event making you think you were really there.

Molly's mother died of cancer, leaving Molly in the care of her college roommate, Barbara. Molly found out before the death of her mother that the Boston Celtic basketball star, Josh Cameron is her father. Through a bit of deception, Molly manages to meet her dad and confront him with the truth. Throughout the rest of the book, Molly and Josh both struggle with different emotions. Josh has trouble believing and his agent, Bobby, wants to do away with Molly. Further yet, Molly's adopted family decides to move across the country.

This book made it to my favorite list because the author does such a superb job describing the story. I felt like I really understood what was going on and how these characters were reacting. Written in modern times, I could relate to several of Molly's feelings. It'll be up to you to find out what happens!