The Fault In Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

By ermazilla PLATINUM, Rolla, Missouri
ermazilla PLATINUM, Rolla, Missouri

"The duty of youth is to challenge corruption"

“Electric… filled with staccato bursts of humor and tragedy.” acclaims author Jodi Picoult. Along with the loveable and relatable characters, readers will “explore the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love”. Green’s novel is “the greatest romance story of this decade”, Entertainment Weekly adds.

Hazel Grace Lancaster has cancer, and few friends, and her social life is pretty much dead, so to get her out of the house, her mother makes her go to a support group, pretty much her activity. Hazel on the other hand would rather re-read An Imperial Affliction, her favorite book in the world. Hazel is reluctant to go, as she doesn’t really have anyone to hang out with, but her parents are certain she’s on the road to depression, though she’s perfectly fine hanging out with herself. There, at the support group, she meets a fellow cancer- stricken teen named Augustus. Augustus Waters. Hazel begins to feel pangs of attraction, but dismisses them, thinking she’s pretty much certain what her life story’s going to be. Though, reluctantly, Augustus wins her over. He brings more sunshine and smiles into her life, replacing the darkness and despair of cancer. They begin their journey, knowing that it will be filled with humor, sweetness, and sadly, tragedy.

The Atlantic put it well, “This is a book that breaks your heart- not by wearing it down, but by making it bigger and bigger until it bursts.” This is very well put into words, as well as capturing the essence of a feeling. Green’s novel wraps sadness, lightheartedness, humor, tragedy, and anger into a so-called legend in modern day conventions.

The theme here is don’t give up. Problems may be digging you into a hole, and making sure that you have nowhere to go, but even then, live life to the fullest. Always have a positive attitude. If beings with cancer can do it, there is no way you can’t. Believe in yourself.

Readers will hold your breath, and picture every word in Green’s novel like a lyric. They will yearn to devour more of Hazel and Gus’ love story, and live like they’ve never lived before. The readers hope will never dwindle, not even when Hazel and Gus are not sure that they can go on. Green writes in such a passionate way, that every word these loveable characters utter, will be etched on brains everywhere.

After reading, you will feel as if you are a friend of Augustus and Hazel; in the support group, that might be a little cheesy; in Peter Van Houten’s house. You will share the feeling of disappointment in his attitude and reaction towards their request; there when Isaac deservingly egged his ex’s house; and last (but not least), at Augustus’ bedside multiple times near death. This is a roller coaster that only goes up.

I love Green's writing. i think that it conveys a message of hope- to never let go and never give up.

on Apr. 11 2017 at 1:49 pm
ermazilla PLATINUM, Rolla, Missouri

Thank you dear sir. i have ready some of your writing myself and i thoroughly enjoyed it. You have a natural talent and have been blessed! yes, i really enjoyed the dragons and what they symbolize. work hard and make literature, kind sir.

TuxTwo BRONZE said...
on Apr. 11 2017 at 1:47 pm
TuxTwo BRONZE, Rolla, Missouri
I read this book a while back, and today it's still one of my favorite novels. Review-wise, thoughtful analysis. I really liked how you talked about dragons. Dragons play a big part in the Fault in our Stars. Overall, I loved your review and would love to hear more from you. I wish you the best of luck in your writing.