Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper | Teen Ink

Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper

By 21rabideaur BRONZE, Whitmore Lake, Michigan
21rabideaur BRONZE, Whitmore Lake, Michigan

Draper, Sharon M. Out of My Mind. New York, Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2010. 295.

Melody, an eleven-year old girl, has everything to say, but has no way to say it. Words are everywhere, but nowhere. Out of my Mind, by Sharon Draper, gives you a rare look into the different life Melody lives. She was born with severe cerebral palsy. When she was a few months, old they expected her to talk. Nothing. They expected her to walk. Nothing. She couldn’t express anything, so nobody knew that she was actually a genius. When Melody turns eight, her mom announces that she is pregnant. It hurts her to see a baby do everything she can’t. Her mom is just scared that she will turn out like Melody. She was separated from other kids so she could be put into “special” classes. When the new teacher finally put her into classes with the other kids she will do whatever it takes to fit in. She take a test and shocks everyone with her knowledge. They assumed that she is stupid and it was a coincidence, but then she does it again, and this time she is qualified for a national competition in Washington D.C. The team treats her as though she is different, but all she wants is to be normal. Melody takes on the ultimate pressure to represent people that appear different from the outside, but are thinking everything at the same pace or faster than the rest.

Sharon Draper has a true gift as an author. Through her unique writing style, she was able to make me more understanding of others. I couldn’t put the book down. I needed to know the next part and how she is able to express herself without communicating through words. I adored how it was inside the head of someone who is daring, and different. But even as different, she wants to be the same. The plot was extraordinary. This book was different. I have searched to find one that makes me as attached as I am to Melody, but to no avail. If you love a deep connection and meaningful plot, then I would recommend this refreshingly different book.