Ice Magic by Matt Christopher | Teen Ink

Ice Magic by Matt Christopher

January 27, 2017
By Niko_K11 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
Niko_K11 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Christopher, Matt. Ice Magic. New York, New York, Little, Brown and Company, 1973.128.


Have you ever played a sport with gear that is too big or too small? Well, in the book Ice Magic written by Matt Christopher, a hockey player named Pie has hand-me-down skates are way too big for him. And if you have ever played hockey, you know that you need your skates to be the right size.


In the book, Pie gets hand-me-downs from his older brother, Pat. Pie’s neighbors, Jody and Joliette, found a hockey game,  and they think that the game that they play on the toy hockey game is happening in real life. After one of Pie’s games, the twins invite Pie to come over to their house to look at the game. When Pie gets to their house, after looking at the toy, they hand him an old yellow paper that says, “To whom it may concern: This hockey game is endowed with magical powers. However, beware what happens on a real rink first repeats here not, for fate promises that, as true as bubbles burst, the magic dissipates.” Will the magic dissipate? Will Pie get new skates?


I like how Christopher, at the end of every chapter leaves you with cliffhangers. Like one time, Pie was going over to the twins house to play the toy game to see if it would work if he played it or if he watches the game. I also like how he described the games with details. I would recommend this book to all the people that like magic, mystery, or if you like hockey.