White Fang by Jack London | Teen Ink

White Fang by Jack London

By Apple_Pie BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan
Apple_Pie BRONZE, Ann Arbor, Michigan

London, Jack. The Call of the Wild and White Fang. New York, Barnes and Noble, Inc.,
2001.

Jack London’s White Fang, is a powerful story about how circumstances shape one’s personality. The powerful writing style of London brings to life the harsh and unforgiving conditions of the Canadian wilderness. The story describes how a harsh environment can twist one’s mind and soul. A gray cub, the only to survive in a litter of five, is captured by Gray Beaver of the Mackenzie Indians and christened White Fang. In the hostile setting of camp life, he is persecuted by the camp dogs because, as a wolf, White Fang represents the wild. Hardened mentally and physically, White Fang becomes a fighting machine. When Gray Beaver goes to a camp of white men who came seeking gold, White Fang is taken with him. Here White Fang catches the eye of the madman, Beauty Smith. Beauty Smith purchases White Fang and begins to harden his soul further. Thrown into the brutal dog fighting rings by Beauty Smith, White Fang has an outlet for his hatred.

Jack London is able to paint a vivid picture of the Canadian wilds. London provides abundant details while still keeping the story interesting and engaging. One of the best elements of White Fang is the narration style. Jack London captured perfectly how a wolf would think. In the book, White Fang refers to humans as gods. Unlike animals that White Fang had encountered thus far, the men “enforced their life strength with the power of dead things.¨ Jack London wrote, that this sight would be akin to men seeing a celestial being upon a mountaintop throwing thunder bolts with both hands. This vivid story-telling was what really hooked me into White Fang. Because of his stunning writing style, I would highly recommend White Fang to those interested in historical fiction.