V for Vendetta by Alan Moore | Teen Ink

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore

By kaix29 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
kaix29 BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"the bonds we have with those close to us, keep us connected always" - Aladdin

Alan Moore’s graphic novel V For Vendetta, is about a man, his quest for revenge and his desire to right the wrongs in his society. The story takes place in England, in 1997. It is a world changed by war, famine and disease. In response to these changes, the government also changes. It is a fascist dictatorship, which uses extensive means to control the people. As a result, the populace slinks into a mode of enforced contentment, making no effort to take back their freedom.

V is  the most ambiguous character in the graphic novel. We don’t know how old V is, we don’t know who his family was, we don’t know his sexual orientation, we don’t know what his face looks like (he wears a Guy Fawkes mask at all times), and we don’t even know to a certainty if he’s a man or a woman. Based on the evidence we’re presented with, it seems that V was a

“Rebel” who was arrested during the early days of the Norsefire regime and sent to a concentration camp. There, he was injected with drugs and hormones that made him smarter, made him stronger, and made him forget his own past. Since breaking out of his prison, V has used terrorism to oppose the Norsefire regime, killing his former jailers and orchestrating an elaborate assault on its institutions. V is an anarchist who believes that violence and destruction are necessary in order to establish a new world order in which people consent to live with each other in peace, rather than submitting to the tyranny of a government.

I recommend this book to teens and adults. It is pretty educational and interesting at the same time, plus it’s a comic which makes it even better. It tells  historical  facts you never knew. It is a real eye opener  to what happened back then and how it was really messed up.

A frightening and powerful tale of the loss of freedom and identity in a chillingly believable totalitarian world, V for Vendetta stands as one of the highest achievements of the comics medium and a defining work for creator Alan Moore.