Eagle Blue by Michael D’Orso | Teen Ink

Eagle Blue by Michael D’Orso

By Allan SILVER, Sacramento, California
Allan SILVER, Sacramento, California

This book takes place in Alaska where native Alaskans live in the village of Fort Yukon. The definition of family is a person that is like a close friend to that person’s friend. There is like fourteen boys and their coach is like a family that live in Arctic recesses of Alaska, the village of Fort Yukon. This family is trying to pursuit dream but is going to be hard. This book is relaxing to read.

Even though the book cover have a basketball picture on the cover, it does not mean it’s about basketball. The story is about the family trying to accomplish their dream together but in order to do that, they are going to have to go through challenges as a team and most importantly is to have fun and be a good basketball team. The family goes to school to get their education but they want to play basketball and don’t have time to play basketball.

The author Michael D’Orso is a veteran journalist, spent a season with the Fort Yukon Eagles, attending every practice and game. D’Orso magnificently chronicles the ups and downs and dramas and comedies on the road, on the basketball court and village of Fort Yukon. This book was good that the book made it to the top ten sports book of 2006.

I would recommend this book to teens and adults just because it is non fiction. This book can give you the confidence of succeeding in school if you are trying to attend sports in school. The book can give you some feelings because of what the family goes through at school and playing basketball.

This book opens the reader’s feelings to the family of what the they are as a family and what it means to be a family. There is not really a main character because it mainly talks about the family.