It by Alexa Chung | Teen Ink

It by Alexa Chung

January 19, 2017
By samanthabickel BRONZE, Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
samanthabickel BRONZE, Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 “I’m interested in aesthetics, in the way things look, in finding something in an image that maybe people haven’t seen,” simplistically is how someone would be able to sum up Alexa Chung’s outrageous and daring moments throughout her novel It (Chung).  Inside the perfectly pink cover, lays a world full of doodles, wild stories, and girly advice. One could classify It  as a diary inside the life of an historic trendsetter. Through classic people, such as; Anna Wintour, Mick Jagger, and Kate Moss, Chung captivates her audience’s eyes by unfolding all of her secrets (even some that expand the border of controversy).

 

Unlike other clíche-cultured novels, Chung tells her story through pictures that timeline her life. With a flip of a page, the reader will experience each moment along with Alexa, which makes her story addicting, and believable. Her writing technique and quirky remarks always feel personal, leaving the audience feeling as if she is allowing you to read her journal; like a best friend would. One of my favorite lines is, LOOKING effortless takes a lot of effort. When I get new Converse I dedicate some time at home to shoving mud on them so they don’t look squeaky clean. For some reason nothing makes me feel dorkier than new Converse (Chung 69).
       

Aside from Chung’s abstract thought bubbles, the novel touches upon controversial topics that happened to herself and other girls on a daily basis. One of the significant topics she discussed throughout was identity and appearance. She educates the readers on not only ‘skinny’ shaming, but people jumping to conclusions when they look at slender girls like herself, and predetermine that they have an eating disorder. Not only do these controversial topics enlighten the ordinary person’s mentalities, but they enforce that every human is flawed.
         

Essentially, Chung never relates herself to being an “it girl,” as one may have expected. To subcultured people, she may be that “it girl,” but her non-self absorbed persona leaves room for the audience to question her true confidence. It is refreshing at times when the reader realizes her achievements have not influenced her mentality. What Alexa alludes, is being an “it girl” does not contain structure. From gushing over the Beatles, tips on how to get out of the car in a dress without flashing anyone, and how to deal with a bad breakup, Alexa Chung’s novel will be a break for young-adults trying to escape realities stressful moments. The untraditional twist portrayed, is practically nature, and is the reasoning towards the public not getting enough of reading It.